Saturday, January 6, 2018

WELS: Today's Devotion - Follow the Signs – January 6, 2018

 
View this email in your browser
Read or listen to the daily devotion.

Follow the Signs – January 6, 2018

After Jesus was born in Bethlehem in Judea, during the time of King Herod, Magi from the east came to Jerusalem and asked, “Where is the one who has been born king of the Jews? We saw his star in the east and have come to worship him.”
Matthew 2:1-2

Follow the Signs


Daily Devotion – January 6, 2018

Devotion based on Matthew 2:1-2

See series: Devotions

“Lord, give me a sign!” Often this request accompanies my prayers. Give me a sign that you’re listening. Give me a sign that you care about me. Give me a sign which inspires my trust in you. There is only one minor complication. Even if the Lord does provide a sign, I may not always understand it or pay attention to it.

Take the Magi who came from the east. They saw the star. They investigated what it meant. Still, when they arrived in Jerusalem, they had to ask the question, “Where is the one who has been born king of the Jews?” Their experience led them to realize a sign can only take one so far.

This is why the Lord has provided his Word of Truth. Not only does it offer much needed signs, it also provides the direction which says, “Look here!” This is what eventually brought the Magi to Bethlehem to see the Savior God had provided for all people. It also led them to worship him as their Lord and Savior.

I need to learn from their experience. While it would be nice to request and receive a sign, the Lord gives me something even more reliable. In his Word I have his unbroken promise of a Savior. In his Word I have the faithful fulfillment of that promise in the birth of the Savior. In the same Word I have the comfort and peace of sins forgiven through the death and resurrection of that Savior.

Still the Lord doesn’t leave me without signs which reveal Jesus is that Savior. He leads me to the stable and the manger to see the birth of Jesus. He leads me through the hills and valleys of Judea, Galilee, and Samaria to witness the miraculous ministry of Jesus. He even leads me to the cross on Calvary and the empty tomb to view the undeserved love secured by Jesus.

How blessed I am to have God’s precious Word which tells me about Jesus. How blessed I am to have the clear signs which direct me to Jesus. This is why I pray: Lord, focus my eyes to see the great things you have done; open my ears to hear the truth you have recorded; fill my heart with faith to follow every sign you have provided.

Prayer:
O gracious Lord, give me the faith I need to trust your holy Word. There not only do I see my Savior and the great things he has done for me, I also see the great signs and wonders which lead me to put my trust in him. Amen.

This devotion was selected from the Daily Devotion archive.

DailyCreative Commons License Devotions are brought to you by WELS and www.WhatAboutJesus.com.
All Scripture quotations, unless otherwise indicated, are taken from the Holy Bible, New International Version®, NIV®. Copyright ©1973, 1978, 1984 by Biblica, Inc.™ Used by permission of Zondervan. All rights reserved worldwide.


Share
Tweet
Copyright © 2018 Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod, All rights reserved.
You are receiving this email because you opted in at our website or subscribed to one of our newsletters.

Unsubscribe  - CHANGE EMAIL SETTINGS

Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
N16W23377 Stone Ridge Drive
Waukesha, WI 53188

Add us to your address book


Note: Recipients of this forwarded e-mail will be able to access your subscription preferences.

No comments: